Learn the basics of child development so you can engage your child with confidence and make sure they are on the right track.
Starting at birth, your child will begin to reach milestones in how they play, learn, act, and speak. Examples of milestones include taking a first step, smiling, and reaching for a toy.
Milestones fall into 6 major areas:
- Communication: how children use language – speaking, listening and understanding
- Gross Motor: how children move their arms and legs
- Fine Motor: how children use their hands
- Problem Solving: how children think and solve problems (sometimes called “cognitive skills”)
- Personal Skills: how children help take care of their own needs, like feeding and dressing.
- Social and Emotional Skills: how children manage and express their emotions and relate to others.
Children grow, develop, and learn throughout their lives. You can track your child’s development to make sure your child is meeting their key milestones. Every child is different and develops at her own pace. At the same time, there are key skills all kids need so they can thrive at school and in their community. You can ensure your child has these skills by checking on his milestones early and often. If you ever have concerns about your child’s development, speak up! You know your child best. There are steps you can take today to help your child reach their full potential.